Dancing Butterfly Quilt Pattern Print Edition
Create a beautiful butterfly quilt as you master fusible applique and free motion quilting!
Transform your abilities and learn loads about fusible applique and free motion quilting as you create this beautiful quilt block by block. In this comprehensive 60 page pattern you will learn step-by-step how to piece, applique, and free motion quilt each block of the Dancing Butterfly Quilt.
Dancing Butterfly Quilt, Finished size: 64 x 72 inches
During this project, you will learn 24 free motion quilting filler designs which you can use to fill any quilt with beautiful texture.
Helpful design worksheets are included which you can use to practice the designs in multiple ways. Use the worksheets to get familiar with the designs and learn the simple "rules" that help you fill them into any space in your quilts.
Step-by-Step Video Lessons - Each step of this quilt pattern is accompanied with a helpful video tutorial so you'll never guess at what to do next! Watch and follow along as Leah Day clearly demonstrates each step on video. This video series will never expire so you can watch as many times as you need, and for as long as you like.
A Perfect Project for Small Machines - The Dancing Butterfly Quilt is designed to be pieced and quilted block by block, quilt-as-you-go style so it's easy to create on a small home sewing machine. Putting the quilt together at the end will be no problem with Leah's detailed binding method!
You'll learn how to quilt each block separately, then connect them together using binding strips and beautiful decorative stitching.
Learn more about the Dancing Butterfly Quilt in this video with Leah Day:
All 20 quilting designs are provided in full size 8 inch quilting guides, which you can use to mark the smaller blocks and make the free motion quilting process easier. If you'd prefer not to mark your blocks, use the guides for tracing on paper so you can get even more practice!
You'll need the extra practice quilting each design because you'll need to be able to apply two designs to each butterfly block, quilting the spaces in the wings, background, and borders completely free hand.
Does this sound terrifying? Don't worry! Leah Day will be with you every step of the way with detailed videos on how to free motion quilt every design and every butterfly in this quilt. The videos will remain online forever so you can begin your Dancing Butterfly Quilt anytime!
Material and Supply list for the Dancing Butterfly Quilt
Fabric for Practice Quilting:
- 4 yards white fabric
- Throw sized (60-inch x 60-inch) batting
- 1 3/4 yards Fabric A for butterfly blocks (Island Batik Blurple)
- 1 3/4 yards Fabric B for butterfly blocks (Island Batik Periwinkle)
- 2/3 yard Fabric C for design blocks (Island Batik Raspberry)
- 2/3 yard Fabric D for design blocks (Island Batik BE26B1)
- 2/3 yard Fabric E for design blocks (Island Batik Carnation)
- 2/3 yard Fabric F for design blocks (Island Batik BE22B1)
- 2/3 yard Fabric G for design blocks (Island Batik Punch)
- 2/3 yard Fabric H for design blocks (Island Batik Bubblegum)
***Precut alternative - You can substitute fabrics C, D, E, F, G, H with one precut pack of 10-inch squares.
Fabric and materials to finish the quilt:
- 2 yards fabric for binding the blocks and edges of the quilt (Island Batik Punch)
- 5 1/4 yards backing fabric (Island Batik Punch)
- Batting - 80" x 90" minimum like Hobbs Heriloom Cotton or Wool
- Piecing thread that matches fabric A or B like Aurifil 50 wt cotton
- Quilting thread that contrasts with all colors like Isacord Polyester Bright Kit
- Marking pencil / pen like the Ceramic Marking Pencil or Fine Line pen
- 3 packs of Lightweight Fusible Web
- Tear-away stabilizer like OESD Ultra Clean and Tear
- Spray Starch
The Dancing Butterfly Applique Quilt Pattern is the printed, physical edition.
Loose Leaf Print Edition - This printed pattern is a loose leaf, shrink wrapped stack of 61 pages. We've included extra copies of the special template pages so you will have all the pages you need to get started.
This pattern is printed in black and white, with full size 8 inch worksheets for practicing each design. Because of the black and white color, some of the smaller photographs within the pattern will appear darker and/or in lower resolution.
Here is a beautiful finished quilt by Shirley H!