Heart and Feather Wholecloth Workshop
Would you like to try wholecloth quilting?
Learn everything about wholecloth quilting in this online class with Leah Day.
Quilters of all skill levels can master the steps of wholecloth quilting. Beginners will enjoy the skill-building (and often mistake-hiding) free motion quilting designs, and more advanced quilters will love learning how to make motifs super puffy with a terrific trapunto technique.
Ten videos are included with this video workshop to guide you through every step of the wholecloth process. Leah will teach you how to:
- Prepare your fabric and mark the wholecloth design
- Add extra puff to your quilt with trapunto
- Master the three dense filler designs that will make your motifs pop
- How to fill the quilt in the most logical and fastest way possible
- Finish your wholecloth with step-by-step blocking and binding
So what is a Video Workshop and how will it arrive?
This video workshop is collection of videos you can watch online or download to your computer or tablet device. The videos are linked within a downloadable PDF that comes with the Heart and Feather quilt pattern and detailed learning guide.
In order to access the videos and pattern, you’ll need to be able to download a PDF file to your computer. Click Here to find downloading tips.
If you followed along with the 2012 Free Motion Quilt Along, you may recognize the Heart & Feather Wholecloth design. For this video workshop, Leah has taken that simple project and elevated it beyond the basic tutorials to include trapunto, a special technique that makes the motifs in your wholecloth quilts extra puffy.
We've also punched up the intensity with three dense filler designs that will transform this simple wholecloth design into an eye-catching masterpiece!
Are you unsure if wholecloth quilting is really for you? The best thing about this project is its small size and simple design. The Heart & Feather Wholecloth quilt finishes at 16 inches square.
This is one wholecloth project you can jump into and not get bogged down with month and months of tedious quilting. It will give you a taste for this quilting style without becoming overwhelming.
Heart & Feather Wholecloth Materials List
Fabric amounts calculated for 40 - 44 inch wide 100% cotton fabric.
- ¾ yard 100% cotton fabric for top, backing and binding
- 18-inch square high loft polyester batting
- 18-inch square wool batting
- Water Soluble Thread for Trapunto
- White Isacord Thread for quilting
- Fine Line Pen for marking light fabrics
- Ceramic Marking Pencil for marking medium to dark fabrics
- Straight pins and Pinmoors or bent safety pins for basting
- Polystyrene insulation board for blocking the quilt
Jump right in to wholecloth quilting with this beautiful Heart & Feather wholecloth quilt. Download your Video Workshop and get started quilting today!