Water Soluble Thread
200 meter spool of Vanish Extra Water Soluble Thread Thread
Water soluble thread is thread that dissolves completely in water, leaving absolutely no trace behind.
You may be wondering why in the world you'd want your thread to dissolve completely! Water soluble thread is used in special quilting techniques, like wholecloth quilting, to hold fabrics or batting together securely, but temporarily.
This thread is used in quilts where you need the fabrics to be held together securely, but you don't necessarily want the thread to show up in the finished quilt. At some point, you will soak the project in water and wash out the water soluble thread leaving only the regular thread and fabric behind.
For example, you can use water soluble thread to thread baste your quilt either by hand or by machine. Basting by machine is especially secure and will reduce the amount your quilt shifts as you quilt it from the center to the outside edges.
Because you've used water soluble thread, you can leave the stitches in place while you quilt. After the quilting is complete, soak the quilt in lukewarm water to remove all the water soluble thread, leaving only your beautiful quilting stitches behind.Tips for using Water Soluble Thread:
- Carefully open the resealable ziplock package so you can use the small bag again to store the thread. Water soluble can weaken from moisture in the air, so you'll need to keep it the small sealed bag it is packaged in.
- Water soluble thread can be used as both top and bobbin thread. Using it in both places ensures all the stitching dissolves out of your project once it's no longer needed.
- This thread is delicate. To reduce thread breaks, dial down your top tension to 1, and try many different needles until you find one that works well with this thread.
- Don't bother to pick out thread nests - this thread will dissolves so any issues will dissolve away with it!
- Mark your bobbin wound with water soluble thread with a black dot using a sharpie so you never confuse this thread with regular white thread.